Department of PsychologyBack
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and behaviour.
Psychologists around the world are trying to answer questions like these:
- How does memory work?
- How can we explain and treat mental disorders?
- How do we understand our own social status?
- How does mental ability change across the lifespan, from infancy to old age?
- How do we understand and use language?
- What are emotions?
- What makes different groups of people dislike each other?
Students studying with the Department of Psychology can look forward to learning about the scientific method, and how to apply it to understand what people do, and why they do it. They will learn about the basic research that has been conducted into individual, interpersonal, and intergroup behaviour. And they will learn how this basic knowledge is applied to understanding real-world problems, including treating mental disorders, allowing effective industrial and organisational behaviour, and maximising learning in educational environments.
Our Major students can also choose elective courses from the Humanities and Social Sciences Department , which is a great way to extend one's knowledge of other approaches to understanding human behaviour; they can also choose courses from the Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences.