SLC - STUDENT LEARNING CENTRE
CTU - CURRICULUM & TESTING UNIT
CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNIT
ASC - ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTRE
# SLC - STUDENT LEARNING CENTRE
The Student Learning Centre is a place for SFL English Prep. Program students who would like to study on their own at their own pace with minimal teacher support or with a small group of friends. It consists of two different sections: (1) Study Room, and (2) CALLLAB (Computer Assisted Language Learning Laboratory).
The centre provides students with the opportunity to reinforce and develop their English language independently while practicing what they have done in class throughout the academic year. They can also ask for help or guidance from the SLC staff.
What can be done in the centre?
• build their vocabulary and grammar knowledge, reading, listening and writing skills.
• read books or short stories at their language level in silence and a calm place.
• use the exam questions assigned in previous years.
• study or do their homework in a silent place with /without friends.
• have access to the Internet in the CALLLAB. They can either deal with language exercises, read international newspapers, watch movies or listen to music in English.
SFL (Prep.) Building
OPENING HOURS: Monday to Friday, between 14:00-17:00 hours
For more information, CONTACT:
SFL-English Preparatory Program
# CURRICULUM AND TESTING UNIT
The Curriculum and Testing Unit members work under the supervision of the Academic Coordinator and in collaboration with the teachers. They are primarily in charge of all curriculum and assessment related issues. The Academic Coordinator is the direct supervisor of the CTU.
# CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT UNIT
The SFL Prep Programme has a very active CPD Unit that provides support for its instructors to reach their full potential both professionally and personally. The aim of the CPD (Continuing Professional Development) Unit at Işık University is
- to design, implement and evaluate in-service training programmes and instructional improvement initiatives;
- to design and deliver induction programmes;
- to create opportunities for reflection and interaction among SFL teachers;
- to enhance teacher autonomy and;
- to ensure quality of teaching and student learning.
The CPD strives to achieve these objectives by means of teachers' choosing their own professional development plan, various CPD activities (such as workshops, Focus Group Discussions, Sharing and Caring Sessions, etc), collaboration and group work.
ASC - ACADEMIC SUCCESS CENTRE
The Academic Success Centre
offers academic and advising assistance to all undergraduate and graduate Işık
University students by providing services
that support students in the development of three broad areas:
- ENG101, ENG102, ING101 & ING102 remedial study
All sessions are designed with the students'
individual problem areas and goals in mind and customized around their specific
The Centre offers appointment based tutorials, drop-in
tutorials and online tutorials.
Located in the DK Building - A Block
– 4th Floor, the office for the ASC is open Monday to Thursday.
We encourage students to stop by the ASC to meet the staff, pick up copies
of our schedule, and find out about the available resources.
For more information, please contact Nüket Ayaşlı